'Fantastic neighbours, lend you anythin' - well, not anythin'. But all of them to a man know first and foremost the most vital necessity in life is they know how to throw a PARTY!'
We're organising a Jubilee street party, we've formed a comittee and everything.
Well, I say 'for the Jubilee' but on my part at least, it's an effort to get to know the neighbours and to help the neighbours to get to know each other. I realised with a bit of a sinking feeling that I don't know many of my neighbours. Sure, there are a couple of people I grew up with (I've lived here most of my life) and people I've got to know through my little people but there are 'new' neighbours I've never said hello to, likewise, they've never said hello to me so I'm hoping the Jubilee next year will be a great way to meet them all.
Now while you may say 'But it's next year' I reckon the party itself will be the secondary event, it's the organisation that will bring people together, we've already discovered a 1 month old baby we didn't know lived here, there's a scout leader, even a republican who recoiled at the thought of a celebration of 'rich leeches'.
I'm hoping that the event itself will be a success of course, it'll be good to get everyone together and I really hope it will kick start a sense of community. If I'm honest I'm more than a little jealous of Bendygirl and the street she lives on, people saying hello, knowing each other by name and inquiring as to each other's well being.
Maybe I'm living in an unusual little South Manchester insular bubble but I don't think so, I suspect many people live in areas where they go to work at different times of morning, come home at varying times in the evenings and don't socialise outside their circle of existing friends because they never see their neighbours.
So, here's hoping it all works,
Partyyyyyyyyy.

No comments:
Post a Comment