Sunday, 18 July 2010

It's all gone a bit quantum..

This might get a bit confusing, if you get bored, here's some picture of kitties doing silly things;

Funny kitties

Still with me? OK.

Fans of pop science will probably know of two rather intriguing thought experiments devised by Erwin Schrödinger in 1935 and Werner Heisenberg in 1927.

Schrödinger, in an attempt to simplify the explanation of a quantum physics principle, came up with the paradox of a cat in a box. In the box is a vial of poison which at any time the cat may or may not have ingested and suffered the effects of, to whit, died. The quantum side of it is that until you open the box you have no idea if Tiddles is alive or deceased, therefore it can be said that Tiddles exists in a superposition of both quantum states, alive and dead (zombie kitteh noms yur brainz)

The point in time at which Tiddles' fate is sealed is the moment you open the box to check, therefore determining how many tins of Whiskas you need to put on next week's shopping list and also what that funny smell is.

Heisenberg developed the idea that the very act of measuring a physical property of a particle will alter another physical property of the particle, to all intents and purposes making any attempt at measuring more than one property worthless.
 


Whilst many people will look at theoretical physics and wonder exactly what relevance things like the LHC have on their lives before shuffling off to buy their next Ginster's pasty and copy of the Sun, I have made a rather important breakthrough which has a significant effect on the lives of millions of people across the world by the direct application of quantum physics to everyday occurrences.

I call it Ceëej's Certainty Principle.

I've applied a modified combination of Schrödinger's and Heisenberg's principles to the Lottery, currently I am in possession of an unchecked Euromillions lucky dip for Friday's £34 million pound draw and as such I occupy a superposition of being a multi-millionaire and as broke as always plus the very act of measuring the ticket will determine which side of the superposition I occupy which has the handy side effect of proving Heisenberg's principle, the very act of measuring the ticket makes it worthless..

Now should I check my numbers or should I bask in my superposition for a while longer?

*update*  I measured the ticket... See above for the effect of measuring.

5 comments:

Helga Hansen said...

I like your thinking. Tell you what, to continue basking your superposition indefinitely, post me the ticket and I'll cash it in. :D

JW said...

As is so often the case in the world of science, this theory has been proposed by different people at different times.

In this case, by thee and me ...

I have been talking of my Quantum Theory of Lottery Tickets for a couple of years. I have spent large parts of that time potentially very rich. Unfortunately, my experimentation shows beyond any doubt that looking at the ticket does, indeed, resolve the uncertainty to one state or the other. What's worse is that in every case so far it's resolved the uncertainty into the state in which I remain poor.

Ceeej said...

Ms Hansen, Send prepaid envelopes...


Ro, Liebniz and Newton eh?

Carnalis said...

poor kitten

Ceeej said...

Carnalis, I know oh, you mean the cat? It's only a theoretikitty.