Monday, 19 April 2010

Poorly sick

Not well.

I have a headache which won't go, a sore throat which means my voice has turned into a comic parody of itself and other unpleasant symptoms of some unspecified lurgy. I'm feeling tired and have been intermittently asleep for most of the day (sunburned neck as a reminder)

Which, if the copious quantities of medicinal honey, rum and lemon doesn't send me for sweet dreams, means I'll be awake all night. Ho-hum.

I'll end up reading.

Good job I have a fairly large collection of books to choose from then.

There are a few favourites which I go back to time and again, some of them giving a little more with each reading, familiarity persuading them to give up more secrets and meanings, releasing more of the author's personality and humour, more of the book's 'message'and ultimately enhancing the pleasure as I
explore more and discover little secrets of enjoyment, in-jokes and foibles.

Others, and this is not an insult, give nothing more because they have nothing more to give, they laid themselves bare on the first reading, subtleties and subtext are not within their covers and they demand little of you for your satisfaction. That's not to say they're not enjoyable and I won't revisit them, sometimes familiarity and complete knowledge is pleasing, reassuring even. They almost always make for a satisfying read if for no other reason than you can choose one to match your mood and have your expectations met.

Of course, it's fun to discover new facets, explore new territory or feelings and, ultimately, much more satisfying than knowing how things will go each and every time but sometimes simple is good, there's no need to discover anything or explore new ideas and thoughts, sometimes easy is nice or even necessary.

I suspect tonight will be a night for a simpler book. Sleep well.

(Quick question, does around 600 paperbacks and 150 hardbacks count as a 'fairly large' collection?)

9 comments:

Helga Hansen said...

Ah, a fellow bookworm. So come on, then... list some of your favourites! I'm intrigued at the identity of your multiple reads!

Ceeej said...

Oh yes, a bookworm.

I'm afraid the favourites list marks me out as something of a nerd but there's early Discworld books, a couple of Cyber SciFi books (The Turing Option for one). I'm a Martin Cruz Smith fan, the Arkady Renko books particularly and Rankin's Rebus. I came late to Rankin but read my way through most of his books sequentially including his short stories.

Currently reading Le'Carre's Smiley books as I find them.

Basically, SciFi, detective (have to be dark and flawed), spy/cold war stuff although I'll read almost anything so the collection is a little eclectic once you get away from the series'.

There are plenty of pop-science books in there too, Stephen Levy's Crypto and Simon Singh's works as well alongside A Brief History of Time and various Astro Physics books.

Phew, I suspect that may have been better as a follow up blog post but...

Carnalis said...

i have about 500 cookbooks, although my favourites shelf is probably 30-40 odd. There is no greater treat (almost) than finding a new author of a series promising hours of happy escapism

Vi said...

Like Carnalis I have more cookbooks than reading books. But knowhere the amount either of you have! I'm more horror, reading Dean Koontz 'Frankenstein' series at the moment.

Ceeej said...

Carnalis, well that explains a thing or two :) Of course, in my case at least, the skill needed to use them to good effect is something that can't be found between the covers. I don't have many physical cookbooks but I have plenty of bookmarks in my browser to provide ideas to attempt.

Vi, I am slightly scared of anyone who can read Dean Koontz at bedtime and still sleep ;-)

JW said...

I can't estimate how many books I have now as the bulk of them are in storage. That said, I seem to be constantly overflowing with books here no matter how much many I dump there.

And that's after two divorces have taken their toll.

One name that was missing from your list was Jasper Fforde. Tell me you've read his Thursday Next books at least ...

Ceeej said...

Ro, thank you. I'd been recommended the Thursday Next books before and couldn't for the life of me remember who, when or what... I'll search them out now I know..

JW said...

Good man, Ceeej ... unless, of course, it turns out that you don't enjoy them, in which case you're a fool to listen to anything I have to say! ;-)

Ceeej said...

Ro I'm enjoying The Eyre Affair but I keep bumping into lumps of text I *know* or at least feel very strongly I've read before... Very odd....