Driving the little ones around recently, I heard them playing 'I Spy' in the back of the car. Pretty soon they're shouting enthusiastically at each other generally having a great time, laughing and giggling as they tease each other. They're enjoying themselves so much I take a detour through the local countryside to let them play for a while as I unsuccessfully attempt to collect my scrambled thoughts.
After a little while I join in with the game, because, well it's just too much fun not to and it's proving nigh on impossible to think. There are some very random 'spied' things being thrown in.
Eventually we arrive at our destination (40 minutes of laughter and raucous fun late) but not before this little gem,
Daddy: I spy with my little eye..... A hippopotamus.
Eldest: Silly Daddy, where did you see a hittapotamus?
Daddy: On the pavement back there.
Eldest: Silly Daddy, no you didn't.
Daddy: (mock righteous indignation) I did, why wouldn't I have seen a hippopotamus?
Eldest: Because hittapotamuses don't live on the pavement.
Daddy: Oh, OK, well where do they live?
Eldest: They live in our cupboards and 'fridge.
My work as a parent progresses to plan.
(Yes, I know I should correct the pronunciation, but, well, it's damn cute and I miss Hosbibull, plus I know she can say it properly when she's being serious)
Voice still croaky damnit.
9 comments:
okaaaaayyy....please explain why there is a hippo in your fridge (hence title of blog as well, lol!)
My sister got so excited when she saw her first crocodile, she said 'look mum, there's a crocadillagater!'
Hiya Vi... The full story is in the second post, Mother's day but basically it's about being silly and laughing with my children.
I hope Eldest realises that these little idiosyncratic pronunciations will never, but never, be forgotten.
Just like my lil bro who for some time said "chish and fips" and called brown bread "cold toast" the first time he saw it.
It's no wonder, really, that he's no longer in touch with the rest of his family!
I have to say, though, that I'm impressed by the success of your brainwashing :-)
My little wobble was 'Tepsember' - you have to realise that I only learned English at about 5, and then had to learn *another* language from 10. Sheesh, parents! :)
Vi, I just realised I didn't say, I *love* crocadillagater, that may be my favourite word of the week so far and will definitely be repeated.
Ro, I hope they won't ever be forgotten, they're part of our lives and will always conjure magical memories. I really hope the 'brainwashing' gives them a sense of the ridiculous and imbues them with the skills to cope with the idiocy they will encounter.
Helga, 3 languages? That's just plain greedy although I'm sure you could be forgiven many many mispronunciations just for that reason alone.
About 5, actually. I haven't mentioned learning German and Dutch as well, and *technically* I could add a 6th... only on the grounds that Norwegian and Danish are quite similar, but the one is less sing-songy than the other... :D
Basically Teutonic-based languages - speak to me in French (swoon) or Italian/Spanish and I'll just look at you with a blank expression!
Helga, now you're just showing off.
Must go, I've just remembered where I put my teach yourself French CDs...
Français, Ceeej mon ami? Ce n'est jamais trop tard à apprendre une autre langue :-)
Mais, Helga, si tu veut que quelqu'un te parle en français, peut-être que je puis t'aider :-D
~Swoon~ Oh, you can definitely carry on with whatever it is you're saying, Ro! :D
Post a Comment