Pretty much sums it up. I've been trying to negotiate a new mobile 'phone contract and decide which spanky new piece of sparkle I want to 'upgrade' to.
On the face of it, it sounds simple.
Except it's not. For a start, my provider has stopped doing Windows Mobile devices which shouldn't bother me but I've got TomTom on my current 'phone and don't much feel like paying for it again to get it on a new platform. I'd love to embrace Android but...
They also don't have the 'phone I desire, the HTC HD2 which upsets me but isn't insurmountable. I'll get over it, it's just geeklust.
Of course, just to make life more awkward, every time I call them for the next round of negotiations, the new customer 'adviser' denies any knowledge of previous conversations and then proceeds to deny that their company could make such an offer. One even tried to convince me that Android was a program that runs on Windows Mobile. An easy mistake to make I suppose, if your job doesn't involve knowing about the products you sell.
I'm considering going back to smoke signals, the coverage is probably as good if not better than my current network and it's a darn sight cheaper even taking into account the firelighters.
Today, I've also been working at a job on a contract that gets me into some of the most dire and depressingly hopeless places in some of the most run down bits of the country.
At one site on this contract, security actually tried to confiscate my 'tools'* on the grounds that it would be safer for the staff and myself if I didn't have sharp pointy things about my person. When I pointed out that I wouldn't actually be able to do anything without my one screwdriver, he relented but insisted on standing over my shoulder while I worked. For an hour and a half.
Lovely.
All in all, a frustrating day which I'd much rather have spent in bed.
On the brighter side, one of my regular Monday evening tasks is to make chicken soup so I'll be tormenting myself with the smell of fresh chicken soup for the next few hours until it's all been either collected or eaten. Who knows, I may get to keep enough for lunch..
*My toolbox generally consists of a screwdriver with interchangeable tips and a laptop with assorted cables. If it's a really difficult job I may carry a pair of pliers although they usually get used on the customer's equipment, not the computers..
4 comments:
The problem ... one of the problems ... one of the many problems I have when it comes to choosing that Next Phone is simply that new models come out so fast.
I find a model that makes me salivate and note down the expected release date. After a period of anticipation, with that release date getting excitingly close, I read that a new batch is being lined up for release just a month or two afterwards. And, of course, they're bound to be much better.
It happened today, in fact. I read that my latest lust, the HTC Desire, is still due for release in April. Unfortunately, I also read that HTC is expected to release the Legend very soon afterwards. And, yes, the word is it's better.
What am I expected to do? I'm only human!
who collects your chicken soup? And do you use roasted carcasses, or wing bones? (you have to get used to questions, if you are to be a blogger)
Various people, basically whoever's about from the family and friends list and wants some, it usually doesn't last very long.
I use the carcass from the Sunday roast (so soup night depends on Sunday dinner) plus a sprinkle of whatever takes my fancy out of the spice cupboard and any vegetables that don't run fast enough to escape.
I'm used to questions, I've got kids :-)
Ro, Marketing playing to human nature, I'm the same, there's always something new to put you off making a decision. I've played with the HD2 and it's fun, the multi touch is good, it 'feels' fast and the screen is excellent.
I'm still a little upset that Orange don't do WinMo anymore (except on a couple of uninspiring 'business' 'phones) but I'm getting a bit excited about the Nokia I've ordered now.
I did like Nokia 'phones in the past but haven't owned one for almost four years so it should be interesting.
Post a Comment