The car on my driveway is a company car, for which (I think) I pay quite a lot of tax. Unfortunately there's no opportunity for me to duck out of this obligation and since the government have deemed all car drivers are evil, I have seen the take home portion of my salary shrink a little each year.
I can understand why a 'perk' would be taxed but for those of us who need a reliable vehicle to perform our jobs? It's just clocked 35,000 miles and had its first new tax disk so it's a few days over 12 months old.
Whinge over.
The benefits of driving around for a living, whilst not making up for the tax, go a long way to making the job interesting. For the most part the driving is only interrupted by brief intervals of IT work so I get to see a lot of the countryside, some of it very beautiful indeed.
For lunch, I'll often go for a walk and eat on the beach or somewhere with a view;
If you look at the lower right corner you'll see there's a footpath which leads down to the straits, of course I went to explore a little..
So while the tax I pay annoys me, as you can see, the non taxable benefits go some way to making up for it.
As always, clicky for bigger...
Edit, location of the layby;
View Larger Map


5 comments:
My company is just in the process of introducing a flexible benefits/salary sacrifice scheme, and as a senior manager, I get to look at the option of buying a bike (up to the value of £1k), or leasing a car. My son is an employee too, so I can see he would be interested in the cycle to work option, and I am sorely tempted by the car leasing - my car, although it is a Saab, is now 13 years old, and the costs of repairing, etc. are getting dearer as the years go by.
The one thing I do dread, though, is that if I decide to lease, is the P11D tax I'll get whacked with. Decisions, decisions!!
And you're right - that is a gorgeous view, and the fact it's free is even better! Where exactly is that, if I may ask?
I'm not sure I'd want to spend so much of my working life on the road but I can see definite compensations!
Ta for the map... you could have just said Anglesey! :D
Helga, well you did say exactly ;)
Ro, it can be very boring if I'm driving the same roads day after day but a couple of times a week I get to drive to places like Anglesey so it makes up for it. It's nice that the days are rarely the same and the warm weather helps too, when the skies darken so does my mood but even then it's not that bad.
Post a Comment