Friday, 21 May 2010

We Rock.

I've been digging through my music collection, I've found cassettes, vinyl albums and singles I'd forgotten I had, some I thought I'd lost forever. Shame really, I've no longer anything to play them on and I feel fairly certain I'd be disappointed by the sound quality, spoiling music that would otherwise be a pleasant diversion for a quiet weekend. 

It's an eclectic collection, from Death metal to Classical, Blues to Pop (admittedly not that much pop but I do like to dip into the 80s and 90s every now and then) with all sorts between and it's stirred up some happy memories from my past (guest passes still bring a smile to my face now I think of them again but perhaps a story for another day I think)

The reason I was looking through my music though?

Ronnie James Dio. A rock legend who passed on Sunday 16th May 2010.

It would appear that I've no electronic copies of my Dio albums, hardly a surprise given that they were on vinyl and cassette but still, it's a glaring omission from my MP3 collection. Sure, I have Sabbath and Rainbow but no Dio....

I can see I'll have to spend some money to rectify that,  for the moment I'm happily remembering my late teens/early 20s listening to Dio on Spotify. Sometimes I miss smoking.

5 comments:

Helga Hansen said...

You should get yourself one of those 'converters' which connect into your compuer system with a USB connection, and can convert your tapes\vinyl records into MP3 files.

Oh, and rock on! :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ceeej said...

Helga, minor snag, I no longer have even a working turntable so it'd probably be cheaper to just buy the MP3s than kit up and transfer them. It does rankle that I have to buy again though.

Helga Hansen said...

Ah, Ceeej... I probably didn't make myself clear! You'd have to buy the gadget specific to tape/vinyl. Something like this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transfer-Convert-Centre-turntable-record/dp/B000ZLNXD0 (at least it works for records and CDs, so not too much of a waste of money?).

I don't have that much vinyl, but I'd be tempted to get one that converts tapes. Then again, I could just try and source them on CD! :)

JW said...

I should have my hands on one of the vinyl-converter turntables soon so I'm sure something could be arranged if either of you is interested.

I understand from the current user (it's complicated!) that it does a pretty good job of the conversion but, yes, that he finds he's running filters afterwards to remove some of the hiss.

I'm hoping it might be usable for some of my more obscure records. The only real issue is just how obscure they are now ... as I'm not really sure quite where they are now!